April 4, 2016 by Felicia Hf
And finally I can get around to properly accepting my Liebster Award nomination! A massive thank you to Matthew for introducing me to this award by nominating me. I really appreciate it and I love the questions, though some of them are quite tough!
The Liebster Award is not a real award. It’s just the Blogger community’s way of telling you that they like your Blog and it’s more of a thumbs-up than anything else. It’s a way for older, experienced Bloggers to encourage and motivate new ones. The word ‘Liebster’ literally means sweetest/ lovely/ endearing/ welcome in German. So basically, if someone nominates you and you accept the award (completely your choice to accept or not), you have to answer the questions said Blogger asks you and then nominate a few others and ask them some questions too.
As I’ve told Matthew, I am delighted and proud to accept this award. My answers to the questions are as follows:
1. How do ideas for your blog posts come about?
Most of my blog posts are part of flash fiction photo prompts, such as Sunday Photo Fiction, Friday Fictioneers, FFfAW and FFftPP, so the photo is where the ideas come from. Looking at those photos, I often immediately feel a story form in my head of what could be happening or what would happen to disturb the tranquility of some of the pictures.
Ideas for my six word stories usually come from things I have been writing at that time, sort of as a spin-off either of other blog posts I wrote or the novel I’m working on. Sometimes they evolve from the books I’m reading too and I try to summarise a scene or an idea in six words.
2. What’s your proudest piece so far?
My proudest piece that I have posted on my blog is either A is for Alphabet, or Asleep on the Bench. The first of which, because upon seeing the photo I thought it was a really hard one and it took me a couple of days to come up with the story, whereas the complete opposite is true of the latter. I immediately thought: someone was murdered on that bench. It seemed slightly desolate and a place where it would come as a complete surprise to find a dead body lying there.
The proudest piece I’ve written that hasn’t been posted on my blog would be a very short story that goes by the name of “Memories”. It is about a girl who keeps on dreaming of specific scenes from when she was younger, but then upon waking up is told she has amnesia.
3. What are the best & worst things about blogging?
The best thing about blogging is that you get so much positive feedback. At first I always used to think bloggers were just a bunch of people writing and posting a bunch of stuff about themselves in the internet, which nobody ever read or really cared about. Well, I must admit, I was wrong about that. There are people who care and it’s always great to be not only on the receiving end, but also on the giving one!
Another of the best things is that I get challenged to post everyday and so continually able to improve my writings. Yes, writers love shrinking away from the actual work of writing, but writing a blog post everyday somehow keeps you motivated to write even more and even work on my novel alongside it.
The worst things about blogging…would probably be wanting to write a blog post, but not being able to come up with anything. If you see a new photo as a prompt and have no idea what to write as a response, it gets really frustrating if you end up having no story as a response at all. Turning this around, another amazing thing about blogging is when you do have loads of inspiration and there’s no problem coming up with a new piece of flash fiction. When a picture immediately captures you and inspires you to write, it’s a great feeling.
4. If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Chocolate was the first that came to my mind, but I suppose that you can’t really live off that well enough… Otherwise, I suppose I’ll have to opt for Lasagne, simply because I love both of those foods.
5. Favourite movie(s)?
Oh dear, I’m afraid I don’t watch that many movies – it’s always been books for me. However from the movies I have seen, I suppose my favourites were the Lord of the Rings trilogy, as well as the Hobbit trilogy, Matilda (I would love to add BFG to this list, but it’s not out yet… the trailer is amazing though, so I just know the movie will be great) and the Da Vinci Code. I know, all those are based on books which I’ve also read, but the movies really are amazing too.
6. What is the best compliment you’ve ever received?
When I first started my blog, I showed one of my friends a post of mine. After she read it and thinking a proper published novelist had written the piece of flash fiction, she was amazed and wanted to know who had written it. When I admitted to being the author, she was absolutely stunned. Somehow that made me feel even more proud than having strangers telling me my work was great.
7. If you could have personally witnessed anything in history, what would it be and why?
Ooh, I love this question, but it’s a really hard one too. I’m quite curious to know about the reign of Henry VI and what role Margaret of Anjou played in the Wars of the Roses, but I would also love to witness ancient Rome between 100 and 40 BC, when Cicero captured the Roman Republic with his oratory skills and Caesar grabbed power.
I would also have loved to witness the first ascent of Mount Everest or the first landing on the Moon, though that’s less witnessing something historical and more simply wanting to be in a place not many have been.
8. If you could be anyone else in the world for one whole day, who would you be and why?
Similarly a hard question to the one above… I would love to be an FBI profiler, or a pilot, because those are really cool jobs. Ooh, or a chocolate taster.. Or perhaps someone like the Queen or someone with a certain amount of power – I find it intriguing to know how they spend their day. It would also be amazing to be Willy Wonka for a day (if he did exist) and be in charge of such an extraordinary chocolate factory.. Or… Okay, I think I’m getting carried away here. I was only allowed to be one other person, so I’ll settle for Mr. Wonka.
9. Ever experienced the paranormal? If not, do you still believe in it?
Nope, never experienced the paranormal. I would love to believe in it, but sadly I’m one of the more rational thinkers, so there’s nowhere my belief could foster.
10. Any fictional universes you’d want to live in?
Hmm, Westeros perhaps, though it is a brutal place. I’d definitely not want to live in it during the Song of Ice and Fire era, but perhaps in a more peaceful earlier version.
I would also love to live in Hobbiton, because it’s such a friendly and calm place, and I adore the little hobbit holes.
The blogs I would like to nominate for the Liebster Award are:
These are the rules:
* Display an image of the award on your blog (Google it, or make your own)
* Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog.
* Answer the 11 questions that are provided by the person who nominated you.
* Nominate between 5 and 11 other bloggers to receive the award.
* Create 10 or more questions for these nominees to answer.
* Inform those people who are now nominated for the Liebster Award, and provide a link to your post so they can learn more about it.
* List these rules on your blog post, so your nominees can find them.
Here are my questions for you:
- If you could go to the past, future, a fictional world, or stay in the present, where would you go? What era or world?
- What is the first book (or movie) that inspired you to do something?
- If you could be any animal, which would you be and why?
- How would you spend your free day if you had all the money in the world?
- Where would you most want to go and why? (other planets count too)
- Books or movies, or graphic novels?
- What did you want to be when you were a child? Did those early dreams have any influence on your interests today?
- If you could have dinner with five people of your choice, who would they be? (living or deceased, famous or not – literally anyone counts)
- Are you more a cat-person or a dog-person, both or neither?
- What is your favourite genre of books (and/or movies)?